Augustinian Churches · Cebu

Minglanilla Church, Cebu

Minglanilla Church, Cebu

This church was also built by the Augustinians. Here is an old photo of the Minglanilla Church that was taken maybe around 1930s.

Advertisements
Augustinian Churches · Cebu

The Church of Patrocinio de Maria, Boljoon Cebu

The Church of Patrocinio de Maria in Boljoon

Of all Cebu?s churches, it is the church in Boljoon which best gives one a sense of the Philippine colonial past. The church of Boljoon is the oldest remaining original stone church in Cebu and is relatively well-preserved. It was declared for conservation and restoration in 1998.

Continue reading “The Church of Patrocinio de Maria, Boljoon Cebu”

Augustinian Churches · Cebu

Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu

The Minor Basilica of the Santo Niño or Basilica Minore del Santo Niño is a 16th century church in Cebu City in the Philippines. It was built purportedly on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño, a sculpture depicting the Holy Child Jesus found by Spanish explorers in 1565 preserved in a burned wooden box which was left behind during the 1521 Magellan expedition.

The Basilica at night

History

Chronological Order:

Titular Saint: (formerly known as “San Agustin Church”)

Elevated into a basilica: Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu

First Church:    

On April 28, 1565, the First convent was founded. The convent was built out of wood and nipa on the site where the image was found. Diego de Hererra headed the construction of the convent but the church was by Fray Andres de Urdaneta, OSA. It was burned in 1566.

Second Church:

Fr. Pedro Torres built again another church out of wood and nipa from 1605 to 1626 but was destroyed because of fire in 1628.

Third Church:

In 1628, Fr. Juan Medina, OSA re-built the church finally not anymore out of wood and nipa but with stone and bricks.

Fourth Church:

In 1731 Fr. Jose Bosqued suggested the need to demolish the building of the Sto. Niño which was in ruins. And, eventually built another church on the same site.

Fifth Church and final:

In 1735, (February 29), the present foundations of the Church was built through the collaborative efforts of Fr. Provincial Bergaño, Governor-General Fernando Valdes, Bishop manuel Antonio Decio y Ocampo of Cebu and Juan de Albarran. The stones used for the construction of the present church were quarried from Capiz and Panay by an army of bancas. The church was finished in 1739.

Restoration:

Both the Church and convent underwent a bigger restoration on the ocassion of the fourth centennial of the Christianization of the country. Pope Paul VI elevated the church to the rank of minor basilica.

The Basilica remains under the care of the Order of St. Augustine under one of its circumscription in the Philippines, the Filipino Augustinians (Province of Sto. Niño de Cebu) in 1984.

Continue reading “Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu”